Who We Are
North Star Community Services is a not-for-profit rehabilitative services agency serving Northeast, North Central, and parts of Eastern and Central Iowa since 1975. North Star exists to provide quality support services to meet the needs of adults with a wide range of disabilities, including older adults with age-related deficits and challenges. Programming provides the foundations that can allow someone to move beyond their disability to make appropriate life choices; develop critical life skills; live up to their personal potential and achieve their individual goals and dreams. North Star’s support enables people with different abilities to live enriched, interactive, meaningful lives as independently as possible in our communities.
1. Day Habilitation Services
2. Supported Community Living Services
3. Newel Post Senior Adult Day Services
4. Canterbury Center Adult Day Services
North Star is accredited by CARF for:
- Community Integration
- Supported Living
North Star is licensed by Iowa Department of Inspection & Appeals for:
- Newel Post Adult Day Services
- Canterbury Center Adult Day Services
How You Can Benefit
- A person with a disability can realize their potential and pursue their dream of living as independently as possible in the community.
- Caregivers can take a break while their loved one stays active, socializes with peers, and has a fun and interesting day in a safe and caring place.
- We are person-centered. We listen and put the individual's and family's needs and concerns first.
- Fees for services are reasonable. There are also many sources of funding assistance available for those who need it.
- We offer high quality, fully accredited, and licensed services.
- Adult Day Services, such as Newel Post, cost an average of 70-80% less than nursing home care, plus people using day services can return home at the end of the day.