The Day Habilitation program is designed for adults with a wide range of disabilities in need of support services to foster the acquisition of daily living skills and positive social behavior, optimize personal independence, and develop satisfying and rewarding community connections and relationships. Program participants have the opportunity to explore areas of personal interest and choice, become more involved in the community, develop interpersonal skills, and set and achieve personal goals and dreams. Each day in Day Hab brings new experiences, opportunities for growth, and increased independence and integration.
North Star’s Day Habilitation services utilizes a person-centered approach for each person and activities may include:
- Identifying the person’s interests, preferences, skills, strengths, and contributions.
- Participation in community activities related to hobbies, leisure, personal health, and wellness.
- Participation in activities related to cultural, civic, and religious interests.
- Participation in adult learning opportunities such as music, creative arts, cooking, gardening, and more.
- Volunteering in the community.
- Training and education in self-advocacy, self-determination, transportation, and other community resources to support the ability of persons served to make informed choices about where to live, work, and recreate.
- Assistance with behavior management and self-direction.
- Activities to assist a person with full participation in community life, development of social roles and natural supports, and improve the capacity for independent living.
Monday-Friday from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm in Waterloo
Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 2:00 pm in Waverly
Currently Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm in Vinton
3420 University Avenue in Waterloo
219 – 20th Street NW in Waverly
516 - 2nd Avenue (Wesley United Methodist Church) in Vinton
Services are funded through: Medicaid HCBS – ID Waiver, Habilitation Services, County or Region Funding, or Private Pay. Other options may be available.
3420 University Avenue
Waterloo, IA 50701
Phone: (319) 236-0901
Fax: (319) 236-3701
Director of Day Habilitation Services: Rachel Eyestone
219 20th Street NW
Waverly, IA 50677
Phone: (319) 352-1425
Fax: (319) 352-1426
Director of Waverly Center: Colette Ruth
516 Second Avenue
Vinton, IA 52349
Phone: (319) 472-4246
Fax: (319) 472-4924
Service Coordinator: Sydney Robertson